Monday, February 04, 2013

Gut Punch

So I read this:


Ex-Navy sniper, another military vet killed at Texas gun range





And I'm sickened. The senseless killing of anyone is always tragic but in this case,any of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen or Marines who has served in the Special Operations community, hits me hard. Because I know the sacrafices made and the dangerous life they lived.  Before anyone gets all wound up about the rest of our service members, I rode with the Patriot Guard and know others are making the same sacrafices but if you truly knew the OPTEMPO of these units, if you knew the missions that they took, if you truly knew the disapportionate amount of burden that has been placed on their backs you would know where I was coming from.

Networks I frequent speak of nothing but good things about Navy Seal Chris Kyle.  While I don't know much about Chad Littlefield, if he was working to help veterans after service then I suspect he was a good man as well.

Now lets get into what I know is coming, ,what I know people will want to say. But this poor Marine who did the shooting, he's been out of work since he got back in 2008, he was in Iraq in 2007, he has.. wait for it.. PTSD.

The same networks I mentioned claim he was a unit Armorer. So, I'm not going to question anyones mental status as that's a slippery slope, but I suspect this Armorer was not knee deep in grenade pins on a daily basis. Now, lets say I'm wrong and he was, no mental illness gives you the right to murder anyone. I've stated here before this country is full of returning soliders who probably have some form of PTSD or another and they are not shooting and murdering folks. I'm not going to spend any additional time on this douche bag,  it will be argued endlessly and I hope here in the great State of Texas that he meets his end in Huntsville.

Motorcycle accidents, drunk driving, suicide, free fall parachutes not deploying all these are examples of how lots of returning veterans die and its painful to think that surviving all that and then it ends in one of these ways. But to be gunned down by someone you were trying to help it just hits me right in the gut.  He has a wife and two kids who after years of waking up not knowing if their dad was coming home, wake up today trying somehow to believe that he is really not.

RIP, SEAL.

Whole fucking world is going crazy.  Jurena...out

No comments: