Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Get by With a Little Help

1st Batt Ranger Killed in Afghanistan.

For over 10 years, the Men of the 75th Ranger Regiment have been in contact with the enemy. Rest easy now Sgt.Higgins, we will see you in Valhalla.




FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, April 15, 2012)—A U.S. Army Ranger was killed in action April 14, during combat operations in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Tanner Stone Higgins, 23, was assigned to Company D, 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, at Hunter Army Airfield, Ga.
Higgins was killed by direct fire from enemy forces during a heavy firefight while conducting combat operations in Logar Province, Afghanistan.
A native of Yantis, Texas, he enlisted in the U.S. Army in August 2007. For more than three years, Higgins served as a rifleman, grenadier, automatic rifleman, gun team leader and a Ranger Team Leader with 1st Bn., 75th Ranger Regiment.

The 75th Ranger Regiment has been continuously deployed to Afghanistan since October 2001.

“Sgt. Higgins epitomized the Ranger Fire Team Leader, and was admired and respected by everyone,” said Col. Michael Foster, the Commander of 1st Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. “A skilled warrior, who always led from the front, he is a hero to his family, 1st Ranger Battalion and our Nation. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Higgins family.”

This was his third deployment to Afghanistan. He deployed once to Iraq.

“In the final hours of his life, Sergeant Higgins helped his strike force accomplish its mission against a determined enemy in Afghanistan, said Col. Mark W. Odom, Commander of the 75th Ranger Regiment. “Without reservation or hesitation, he carried the hopes of our nation—as he had done so many times before.”

Higgins is survived by his wife Shelby Lynn Higgins of Savannah, Ga., his father Danny R. Higgins of Hurst, Texas, and his mother Patti D. Sells of Tybee Island, Ga.

If I could meet one Person.

This would be him. Its been 8 years since Pat Tillman gave up fame and glory to pursue a career as a Ranger in my beloved Regiment. RIP Pat.





And who could forget this moment by his little Brother who is obviously cut from the same cloth?

Getting by with a Little Help

 "Lend me your ear and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key"... Beatles

Lord knows I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but if I could, the song in 2012 would be out of key.

 Life is well, Life.  For me, as noted here previously, that borders on chaos, which by the way is the world order of things. The world leans toward chaos, if you don't believe me throw a deck of cards in the air or remove the perceived threat of law enforcement out of a town.  The cards end up scattered and the savages beging to loot early.

While I thrive in that enivornment, or I suppose survive is a better word. I've often wondered if being more organized and structured in my approach to things would alleviate some of the pressures I have to succeed? Thoughts and ideas come in like shotgun blasts, one day I'm focused on one thing and the next day its something else. Which I suppose equates to being focused on nothing.

I'm probably one of those life coaches worst nightmares, I live out of my "inbox" never filing anything, I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow until I wake up tommorrow.  Which is very strange for someone who spent 10 years in the military where everyday you knew what you were going to wear, where you needed to be, what you were bringing with you and what time you need to be there.

As this has been a tough economic year for me, I often wonder if going back to a more organized approach would help out any?  Screw it, Chaos it is...  Reminds me of another lyric from that song.

"What do you see when you turn out the lights
I don't see too much, but its mine"

I'll keep flying by the seat of my pants, making it up as I go and Getting by With a Little Help from my Friends.

This is another one of those songs like comfort food. I hear it and I go to a peaceful place.

Riding in the Electra 225 with Charlie, the windows down on the Southwest Freeway headed "into" town from Alief.  Wind brings in the smell of the afternoon shower that you know is headed in from the Gulf and blows out the smell of the joint he just smoked..  610 Loop rising in front of you, if you go right you head to the Dome, if you go left to the Galleria and past that the Heights where many an afternoon was spent climbing in the mimosa tree. The Joe Cocker 8 track is in and the Stereo is cranked up....

No comments: